Point to Ponder
As we prepare to move into 2006
I hope Santa was very good to you and your loved ones last weekend. I enjoyed lots of laughs and meals with my family, extended family and close friends... and I was definitely spoiled.
New Year's is a time when many people make resolutions and some of them even get kept. :0)
I thought I would drop you a quick note to personally wish you and your loved ones, as well as your colleagues and staff, a very prosperous 2006.
Your regular Ideas At Work! e-zine will show up in your email later next week, but I wanted to extend my gratitude for your encouragement and for being a part of our Ideas At Work! family this year.
We'll continue to work diligently to ensure we include ideas, articles and book suggestions that will help you enhance your leadership, career or company this year.
I don't make resolutions at New Year's.
What I do is revisit my past year and see where I could improve on what I accomplished. I also look at what I had planned and compare that with what I actually created.
One technique I have used is to visualize myself a year later and ask myself some questions. I find visualization to be a powerful tool.
When I was working through the process to attain my professional level Accredited Speaker designation, I snuck into the main ballroom late at night and actually practiced walking across the stage to receive my award. Four years later, when I did it for real, it was even better than I had visualized. I had not visualized the sound and the emotion of 2200 plus cheering Toastmasters. It was amazing!
Here are a few samples of the types of questions I use. Fill in the blanks for yourself, add your own power statements and make sure you have these somewhere where you see them on a regular basis.
Looking back on 2006, I see myself:
- Healthy and in shape with a weight of ( lbs.)
- Productive in my career with an annual salary (commission earnings) of ($ )
- Remembering exciting visits and holidays to ( ), ( ) and ( ) with ( )
- Spending quality, fun and family time with ( )
- Driving my brand new (color, model) ( ) with (options) ( )
- Having the satisfaction of completing ( )
- Remembering my excitment of meeting ( ), ( ) and ( )
- Being able to surprise and spoil ( ) with a special ( )
- Being able to say I learned how to ( )
- Meeting my reading goal of ( ) book per ( )
- Enjoying the satisfaction of my community involvement in ( ) by ( )
- Being recognized for my achievements in ( )
- Meeting ( ) and ( ) who I have always wanted to meet and asking ( )
- Remembering the many times I shared laughter and love with ( )
- Sharing Bob's Ideas@Work! ezine with my colleagues and staff
- Being able to say, I always wanted to ( ) and this year I actually made that dream come true.
I wish you all the success, happiness, earning power and career potential you can imagine in 2006. Drop me a note and let me know how your year comes out.
Bob 'Idea Man' Hooey
© 2005 Bob 'Idea Man' Hooey www.fullofhooey.com